Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wheat Sprouts

I recieved a great comment from Lisa saying that she was able to sprout some old canned wheat.  I'm so glad!  I was told that wheat canned with an oxygen absorber wont sprout.  I worked with a lady at the cannery who said her canned wheat would not sprout.  I'm not sure what the discrepancy is but if you have had experience with sprouting canned wheat (or any and all experiences with wheat sprouts) I would love to hear from you!  brendaburrup@q.com  -if you're curious, I store my wheat in buckets.


Why sprout your wheat?  It makes the wheat more nutritious and esier to digest because it breaks down the gluten, which is what our bodies have a hard time with.  Celiacs should NOT eat wheat berries, sprouted or otherwise.

I'll do a post on how to sprout but if you can't wait then simply google "wheat sprouts".  You will find hundreds of uses and recipes.  I dry the sprouts at a low temperature in my dehydrator and then I use my manual grinder to turn it into a course flour that I add to my breads.  Sprouted wheat has lost it's gluten so it can't be used as a bread flour on it's own.  I add about 1/4 to my dough, or you can research gluten free baking to find out how to make breads without regular wheat flour.  It adds a delicious, nutty flavor.  Mmmm.



Wheat grass is different.  Amazingly nutritious and medicinal, it is so easy to grow at home! A container, some dirt or pete moss and vwala! Wheat Grass!  It can be added to smoothies, or just muched on when you're felling a little bovine-ish.  Usually it is juiced.  You can buy just the juice at healthfood stores.  Anne Wigmore uses it in everything at her health spa on the east coast.  There are some great books about wheat grass and its medicinal qualities and all the different ways you can use it.  CELIACS I've known do fine with wheat grass.  I think of it as aloe vera without the slime.

No comments:

Post a Comment